1 The explanation given by the manager yesterday was not at all _____ to us.
A. satisfy B. satisfied C. satisfactory D. satisfying
2 Part of the funds will be used to ____ that old blbrary to its original splendor.
A. rest B. recover C. replace D. restore
3 This silk has gone right _____ and we have not sold a single piece of it for weeks.
A. out of fad
B. out of pattern
C. out of custom
D. out of fashion
4 The new Personal Digital Assistance contained a large ___ of information about an individual life.
A. deal B. amount C. number D. account
5 Primitive superstitions that feed racism should be _____ through education.
A. ignored B. exalted C. eradicated D. canceled
6. _____ pollution control measures are expensive, many local governments hesitate to adopt them.
A. Although B. However C. Because D. Moreover
7. The less the surface of the ground yields to the weight of the body of a runner, _____ to the body.
A. the stress it is greater
B. greater is the stress
C. greater stress is
D. the greater the stress
8. Annie Jump Cannon, _____ discovered so many stars that she was called “the census taker of the sky.”
A. a leading astronomer,
B. who, as a leading astronomer,
C. was a leading astronomer,
D. a leading astronomer who
9. Kingdom of Wonders, _____ in 1995 in Fremont, Calif., became an industry legend for two toys: a talking bear and a ray-gun game.
A. find B. found C. founded D. founding
10. Over a very large number of trials, the probability of an event _____ is equal to the probability that it will not occur.
A. occurring B. to occur C. occurs D. occur
11. Only one-fifth of Americans saw oil as the chief reason that the U.S. made a war on Iraq, but 75 percent of the French and of the Russians believed _____.
A. to B. so C. go D. do
12. Sadly, while the academic industry thrives, the practice of translation continues to _____.
A. stack B. stage C. stagnate D. stamp
13. Your blunt treatment of disputes would put other people in a negative frame of _____, with the result that they would not be able to accept your proposal.
A. mind B. idea C. intention D. wish
14. If you are an energetic person with strong views as to the right way of doing things, you find yourself _____ under pressures.
A. variably B. invariably C. invaluably D. invalidly
15. Uncle Vernon, quite unlike Harry Potter who looked nothing like the rest of the family, was large, very fat, and _____, with an enormous black mustache.
A. neck-less B. neck-lace C. reckless D. rack-less
16. Home to _____ and gangsters, officials and laborers, refugees and artists, the city was, in its prime, a metropolis that exhibited all the hues of the human character.
A. magnates B. magnets C. machine D. magnitudes
17. His _____ behavior made everyone nervous. He was always rushing to open doors and perform other small tasks, apologizing unnecessarily for any inconvenience that he might have caused.
18. He was completely __________ by her tale of hardship.
A. taken away
B. taken down
C. taken in
D. taken up
19. Americans who consider themselves _____ in the traditional sense do not usually hesitate to heap criticism in domestic matters over what they believe is oppressive or wasteful.
20. As technological advances put more and more time between early school life and the young person’s final access to specialized work, the stage of _____ becomes an even more marked and conscious period.
1-5 CDDBC 6-10 CDACA 11-15 BCABA 16-20 ACCDA